Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Getting to and arriving in Vancouver


Today ( Tuesday) I left Toms River by bus to NYC where I boarded the e train to JFK airport, total travel time was 2 hours and 15 minutes. What a pleasure, I would defiantly do this again and all for $15.00. No traffic, no parking, I would highly recommend this way to get to the airport. I had budgeted about 3-4 hours to get to the airport so here I sit waiting for my 9:20 flight for 4 hours. I guess better early then late. I arrive in Vancouver at midnight Pacific time (3:00 am Eastern time) and spend the night at a comfort inn at the airport and get a bus at 8:30 to Whistler.

Okay I was just going to post the last paragraph but I felt I needed to put in some info about the flight. First let me say Cathay Pacific was a wonderful airline, we had a wide body jet 9 across, 3 middle and 3 on each side, service and onboard entertainment was great and I wish i could have had the sleeper seats in Business class or the mini cabin in first class.

I knew it was going to be an interesting flight when 95% of the flight were Chinese families all with infants, probably about 30 babies. The flight went on to Hong Kong from Vancouver and that is where they were headed, I was told by someone that they come to the US to have the babies so they will be US citizens and then head back to China, very intersting.

Anyway, the flight was pretty empty, I had arranged to have a whole middle row to myself. Well 2 minutes before takeoff a loud, obnoxious Chinese Grandma with an infant plops herself down in my row and proceeds to take over the middle seat, the baby is screaming bloody murder so loud that with my ipod headphones on and the voume all the way up all i could hear was screaming baby, the woman is yelling in Chinese to people she knows in front of, next to ( on both sides) and behind her and then she proceeds to put the screaming baby on the fold down tray table so she can take off her sweatshirt, I was waiting for the baby to roll off. The second the sweatshirt is off the odor is released, oh my god, I do not think she bathed in a month, my eyes were watering.

Luckily the row in front of me was open and I moved as soon as the plane reached altitude. I thought my troubles were over, but I am a Keith so no such luck. Now 3 hours into the flight the baby still has still not stopped screaming and I am tired, so I move once again about 20 rows up, again I find a whole empty row and it is quite, so I can get a few hours of sleep. Well think again, the row I found was right in fromt of the bathroom so every 2 minutes when someone went in the light blared in my face.

So I spent a fitful next 3 hours trying to sleep. Arrived in Vancouver, what a beautiful airport. Only about 40 people got off as the rest were going to spend another 14 hours on their way to China. Customs and immigration were a breeze, gave in my work visa and got my bags and took a cab to the Comfort Inn at the airport where I now sit at 7:00 am Pacific Time. I am off to the airport again to get my 8:30 bus to Whistler. That is it for now.

Click here to view our Facebook page and please friend us


Click here to view our Twitter page and please re-tweet us


Click here to view the official DRJ Catering website

No comments:

Post a Comment